Wednesday, December 24, 2008

ornaments you can stick in your mouth

...or bang on the floor or whatever. These are key criteria for Christmas ornaments at our house this year, thanks to a busy boy and his fellow mischief makers (the dogs). Using felt, fabric scraps, and seventeen miles of blanket stitch, I've made a passel of very basic ornaments that won't harm or be harmed. Most are just simple shapes I cut out and embroidered.


The flock of felt birdies are all from the template I found at skip to my lou:


I also made a few birds from the purl bee's pattern. They're incredibly tiny and delicate and I love them.


Hilary at Wee Wonderfuls has her stuff together in the safe tree department.

I keep reminding myself that I don't need to make every damn thing I see this year, or I won't have anything to make during the next few years. Nobody in my house right now is old/young enough to care about advent calendars, stockings, festive table runners, etc. so those can wait a year or two; also, garlands can wait until Joseph is old enough to want to help make them. This is my excuse for having a minimally festive house.

1 comment:

CalvaryGirl said...

Your ornaments are beautiful! "Everything in due time" is my saying :) You'll get the other stuff done!
Happy New Year

Wendy
My Blog