Friday, January 16, 2009

bird city

Part of a mural I've been working on in Joseph's bedroom--it seemed appropriate here.

It's been rainy for the past few days so we've been enjoying watching the birds hunt for worms. This morning we saw a flock of hundreds of robins.  I was practically giddy with excitement.  Then a cardinal landed on the fence and I could not have been more impressed if it had been an alien space craft. 

We have loads of birds in Jacksonville. Every day we see geese, hawks, crows and vultures as well as finches, sparrows and all the usual little peeps, and nearly every day we see herons, ducks, cormorants, gulls and sandpipers.

Reason number eleven billion why I love the internet is how easy it is to figure out what bird you just saw.

For Christmas, my parents got us a finch feeder, which we placed outside our dining room window (where the dogs don't have access to it). Joseph waves hello to the birds when he sees them. He also waves hello to random things like socks, so I'm not reading into the gesture a love of nature or anything.

Joseph & Indiana watching the birds.

No comments: