Wednesday, January 28, 2009

i have a problem with patterns

This is my creative process:  I find a pattern I like, cut it out or trace it, and then I either
A) get completely overwhelmed by the written directions, or
B) realize that I don't have the fabric or notions called for in the pattern

Then end result is that I always wind up reverse engineering the product my own way.  Written directions make me want to punch somebody in the face. It's not just sewing patterns--I'm mystified by recipes, instruction manuals, directions to people's houses, you name it.  I either need to see really good pictures or a diagram, or see somebody do what I'm supposed to be doing, or just do it myself and figure it out that way.  This is actually what I find fun about sewing:  figuring out how to make it come together. 

Case in point.  I'm making a smock for the Celebrating Handmade swap.  I decided to use the pattern from Amy Karol's Bend The Rules Sewing. After copying the pattern and cutting it out, I went through my fabric to decide what I wanted to use.  This was the combination I decided on:



Red cotton, natural linen, and printed cotton.  I really wanted to use the linen for the body of the smock and the red cotton for the bias trim and pocket, but since the linen is a little too flimsy for something that's supposed to keep a child clean, I decided to use the bear print as a lining and some flannel as a layer of interfacing.  Then I decided that a smock really ought to be reversible, which means the inside seams need to be finished. 

This kind of thing keeps my mind busy and my seam ripper in constant demand.

No comments: