Tuesday, January 19, 2010

vegan cookies for rich people

Almond butter + maple syrup + whole wheat flour.  Pricey, but delicious and not horrible for you.  Variations on this theme have been added to the weekly baking rotation.

 
This recipe was adapted from the treasure trove of wholesome goodness that is 101 Cookbooks.  The original recipe is wonderful, but since peanut butter and I don't always get along, I've been using almond butter, which definitely adds to the cost. Other changes I've tried:
  • I've been adding combination of random ground nuts (walnuts, cashews, almonds--whatever I have on hand) to make up the cup of nut butter called for in the recipe.  
  • Tahini works too, which I discovered after raiding my pantry in search of something nut-like to use.  
  • I've tried cutting the amount of sweetener in half, but this makes the cookies too dry and crumbly unless you add some water.  
  • I've also tried substituting some turbinado sugar instead of turning to a life of crime in order to afford enough maple syrup; this works but again you have to add water to compensate for the dryness.
  • And just because I cannot leave good enough alone, I've substituted rolled oats for some of the flour.  You have to use about twice the volume of oats as you would flour.  I just add oats until the dough seems like it's the right consistency.
I've thoroughly corrupted the original recipe, but I swear it still tastes good.

1 comment:

Jennifer Perez said...

Ohhh how I wish you lived closer to the Riverside so I can raid your cookie jar...