Monday, February 15, 2010

tulip skirt

I wanted to make myself something in order to compensate for the fact that we've had a nutty few weeks. The babies have had growth spurts / feeding frenzies, Joseph has been in an evil mood due to some new molars, and I've had a toothache/sinus infection/spate of new allergies. Sometimes it's easier to get through a rough afternoon when you have a distracting project to focus your energy on: you pop a few motrin, put the homicidal toddler in front of a truck DVD, and nurse one baby at a time (at the sewing machine).

This is Jenny Gordy's tulip skirt pattern from the Winter 2008 issue of Stitch magazine. I made it in what fabric.com called a cotton/rayon faille, but it feels like school uniform quality polyester to me. At $1.99 a yard I'm not complaining. I'm not delighted about the fit; I have to stand up damn straight to avoid some belly vs. waistband conflict. I'm wearing it today and I'm exhausted from the effort. One of the benefits of always having a baby in a sling is that I can slouch and slump and let my poor belly go all over the place and nobody's the wiser. It's kind of interesting to be focused on my stomach instead of my butt as my source of angst. Hello, middle age, I can see you from here!

Anyway.

The skirt went together easily with very few modifications (an inch or so longer, some extra topstitching) but I had a bit of an epiphany while cursing over my machine's inability to make it through one effing buttonhole without getting stuck: I could have installed ten invisible zippers in the time it took make the buttonholes, sew on the buttons, and hand sew the wretched hooks and eyes at the waistband. I really need to man up and get over my issues with zippers.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

meg said...

1.the skirt is awesome.
2.I am with you on the belly issue.
3.I can't believe you can sew and nurse at the same time! damn!

Anonymous said...

i love this skirt. ever since i first read this post ive been thinking about it.

i dont know if id be able to wear it though since i dont like anything to really come over my stomach because then i feel obligated to suck in my gut and thats exhausting.

i wonder if it could be easily motivated to sit below the belly...

Anonymous said...

obviously i mean modified not motivated. i swear to god its almost as if english is not my first language. sheesh.

Nishant said...

skirt is awesome
data entry india