Thursday, August 6, 2009

baby sweater in mysterious color


 I knit this during the hellish flight back from New Jersey a few weeks ago while I pretended not to know the screaming toddler in the seat next to me.  The yarn is Cascade 220 Superwash.  Joseph kept calling this sweater "pooka," which at first was a mystery but now we understand is how he says purple.

The pattern started out as the baby shrug from Debbie Bliss's Simply Baby (and conveniently available for free here) but I made a lot of modifications when it became apparent that the smallest size was going to be much too big.  Basically, I cast on fewer stitches and took a bit off every dimension.  Also, I added a buttonhole but have yet to add a button because all my buttons look cheap and dumb when held against a handknit.  I need a fancy button.

This came together so damn fast and used so little yarn that I feel very comfortable with the fact that it will only fit the baby for a month or two.

As a side note, what is with the cheesiness of baby hangers?  I wish I could find some tiny, simple wooden hangers instead of this satiny ribbony business.

No comments: