Wednesday, February 25, 2009

dirt

Scott insisted that I help dig out the grass from the future garden beds and now I'm basically crippled with pain and disfigured by dirt. It's been three days and six showers since we did the digging and I'm still dirty: my hands are nothing more than chapped bits of skin held together by ground in dirt. I think I've essentially tattooed myself with the dirt. Let's not even talk about how old my back is making me feel. 

Here's what's in the ground as of today:
  • carrots
  • romaine lettuce
  • purslane
  • sugar snap peas
  • bush beans
  • thyme (overwintered from the fall)
  • basil
  • cucumbers
  • zucchini
  • winter squash
  • cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, oregano and more thyme are currently being started indoors.
This sounds like a lot but I don't think I planted very much of any one type of plant (except basil, which is everywhere).  I will be very disappointed if this does not work out.  If I don't see sprouts next week I will start incantations & ritual sacrifices.  


I would post a photo of the garden but it is currently just dirt and does not inspire much confidence.  Instead look at Joseph use a spoon (aka his "digger," a new word) to fill a Wonder Woman cup with dirt.

No comments: