Tuesday, February 24, 2009

something to sleep in

I have to admit I've been very much a "before" picture lately. This is partly because I've been going too long between getting my hair cut and colored and partly because much of my clothing is in tatters after a year and a half of full time baby wrangling. The stuff I sleep in is particularly raggedy: stretched out, dingy, and sprouting mysterious holes all over the place. So instead of becoming some kind of ladies magazine cautionary tale of personal neglect, I've decided to dedicate some of the random fabric in my stash to making stuff to sleep in.First of all, I don't know what to call this. It's not really a nightgown--more of a slip or a chemise, but "chemise" sounds altogether too prissy, and slip is not quite accurate. Anyway, I have one night thing that I like, so I basically traced it and made a pattern. I then tested the pattern out on some red broadcloth I had sitting around. I was kind of unsure about how to construct the garment (how to simultaneously join the bodice & skirt and create a drawstring) so the inside is frightening, but it was fun to figure it out as I went along. Despite the fact that I'm definitely not a cherry red kind of person, I'm pleased with the results and the next time I come across a yard of fabric I like I'll know what to do with it.

No comments: