Tuesday, March 10, 2009

slippers


These slippers are the first project I completed from Weekend Sewing. I came amazingly close to following the pattern; I only deviated in that I left out some rickrack trim (because I didn't have any) and attached the soles differently (the pattern called for hand sewing, but I machine sewed right-sides-together, turned, then slipstiched the opening). They were ridiculously easy to make and had me wondering why everybody doesn't sew their own slippers. It requires the tiniest scraps of fabric and no special skills whatsoever. Also, the directions were very easy to follow. Hooray for diagrams.

What was especially satisfying is that I only used scraps of fabric that I had lying around. The soles are remnants of a felted thrift store sweater that I had used to make a diaper cover, so that was like double or triple recycling.

I like the ballet slipper vibe.

My only regret is that I made them a bit too small. I probably should have made the size large, but who wants to admit they have big feet? Boo. Anyway, I will be making these again soon: in a large for myself and in various sizes for gifts since handmade slippers are probably the best gift idea I will have this year. I think the pattern could easily be scaled down for kids, too.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, you and all your projects are really starting to make me feel like i do nothing all day.

these are adorable and now I REALLY want the book. i may have to break down and buy it.

Karen said...

Seriously, I think this book might be the best sewing-related purchase I've made in a long time. And, seriously, I have no idea what's come over me lately--I think I'm going to spend the rest March lying on the couch and doing nothing.